Food is a universal language of love, and cooking and sharing meals with friends and family has a way of opening up hearts and conversations. The Persian love cake is the embodiment of a declaration of love, with the recipe allegedly coming about when a Persian woman who was madly in love with a prince, concocted a love potion in the form of a magic cake.
Make this easy gluten free version to win over your own prince or princess!
Preparation Time: 30 - 40 mins
Cooking Time: 50-60 mins
Serves: 8-10 People
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients.
- 3 cups almond meal
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup grass fed butter, softened or coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cardamon
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp high quality salt
- 2 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- 1 cup thick cream (or coconut cream)
- 2 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- Dried rose petals
- Preheat oven to 160 oC
- Line a 22cm springform pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix almond meal, coconut, coconut sugar, spices & salt together, then rub in butter with fingertips to form breadcrumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs & yoghurt until well combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until mixed well.
- Pour mix into springform pan and place in oven for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly from the centre.
- While cake is cooking, put honey, orange juice and saffron into a small saucepan and gently bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove the syrup from the heat and add pistachios.
- Remove cake from oven, and take off the outside ring from tin. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently poke holes in the top of the cake with a skewer or tip of a sharp knife and slowly pour the syrup over the top, allowing it to seep into the holes.
- Whip the cream with vanilla added, until soft peaks form.
Serve the cake sprinkled with rose petals and vanilla cream.
This is a perfect match with our Luminous Botanical Tea.