When you start leaning into a more plant based diet, it’s pretty useful to have a good ‘go to’ veggie burger recipe for an easy family meal, barbecue or addition to a wrap or nourish bowl. It took us a few goes to create a veggie burger that holds its shape well and tastes really good. This version got the winning vote from the family. We love that these are nutrient dense with the combination of black beans, sweet potato, flaxseed & eggs providing quality protein, fibre, healthy fats and a host of phytonutrients.
Gluten Free, Dairy free
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients
Makes around 20 burgers
- 4 small or 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp vegetable stock paste
- ½ cup fresh herbs (eg basil, coriander, thyme, parsley, sage)
- 1 cup hemp seeds to coat
- Pre heat oven to 180oC.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- Cut sweet potatoes into halves or quarters and place on tray along with red onions.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and bake in oven for around 35-40 mins until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Allow to cool.
- Heat heavy based fry pan, and add remaining olive oil.
- Fry garlic until soft, then add cumin & paprika.
- Cook for a further 1-2 mins.
- Add garlic mix, sweet potatoes & red onion, black beans, spring onions, eggs, flaxseed meal, stock paste & fresh herbs to a food processor, and pulse until well mixed but still a little textured.
- Wet hands and form mixture into burgers.
- Dip the top into hemp seeds.
- Place on tray lined with parchment, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Cook in oven (180oC) for approx. 30 minutes until heated through and a little crisp on the outside.
- Serve warm on your favourite GF bread or wrap, with organic ketchup or pesto, grated carrot & beetroot, avocado and lettuce.