When the temperature drops I love mixing up my breakfast or brunch with a warm, nourishing option. While porridge is a good go to, I also like to play around with varieties of warm flax pudding as flax seeds are such a powerhouse of nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, fibre and phytochemicals called lignans, and are really good for heart & gut health. I also sneak in some hemp seeds for a further boost of healthy fats and good quality protein.
This version with the flavour of carrot cake is my current favourite, but stay tuned as I can feel a mocha pudding coming on….
Preparation Time: 5 mins | Cooking Time: 15 mins | Serves: 4 People
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients
- 1 cup golden flaxseed
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp sundried sultanas
- 1tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger or ginger powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups activated almond milk
- Pinch of high quality salt
raw honey (according to taste)
Coconut yoghurt, activated pecans (roughly chopped) & toasted coconut flakes to serve
- Add all ingredients except honey & pecans, to a heavy based saucepan and mix until well combined.
- Heat over medium heat until gently simmering, stirring frequently
- Continue to simmer and stir for 10 – 15 minutes, or until liquid has absorbed and you have a creamy porridge. (Add a little more almond milk or water during the cooking process if necessary).
- Add honey to desired sweetness and stir until mixed through.
- Place pudding in serving bowls while warm, top with a dollop of coconut yoghurt & sprinkle over coconut flakes and pecans.