Mushrooms are surprisingly rich in a range of antioxidants which makes them an awesome food for boosting immunity and promoting longevity. Most species are also a good source of prebiotics to keep your gut healthy, have loads of minerals for skin, hair and nails, and they can provide vitamin D if they have been exposed to sunlight. They make a great meal inclusion for vegans, providing some traces of vitamin B12 and giving food that delicious ‘umami’ flavour.
It is so good to see a big variety of mushrooms now readily available at markets and wholefood stores. I’ve used a range of mushrooms for this dish over the years but they look most spectacular with large portabello or field mushrooms. You can also use shitake or oyster mushrooms in the filling for a different flavour.
(Vegan, gluten free)
We use all organic ingredients.
Serves 2 for meal or 4 as side dish
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean with skin on ( you can use pumpkin if preferred)
- 1 red onion (peeled & quartered )
- 2 cloves garlic in skin
- 2-3 extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 6 (clean) large portobello or field mushrooms, or 15-20 smaller brown or white mushrooms)
- Additional 6 small mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3-4 silverbeet leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 leek, finely sliced
- 1-2 tbsp of fresh herbs: rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley (all finely chopped)
- ¾ cup of activated pecans & walnuts
- 1 tbsp activated pepitas, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- Freshly ground black pepper & sea salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cashew cheese (or soft goats cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Line oven tray with parchment paper.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 4 lengthwise, and rub sweet potatoes, red onion & garlic cloves with olive oil.
- Place on tray and roast in oven for around 45 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool before mashing thoroughly.
- Heat heavy based fry pan over medium heat and add nuts, pepitas and spices. Toast for approx. 8-10 minutes or until crunchy and golden. Place on sheet of baking paper to cool. Chop roughly & season with salt & pepper.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to fry pan and cook silverbeet, leek and additional mushrooms over medium heat for approximately 10 -15 minutes. Allow to cool a little.
- Combine mashed sweet potato, silverbeet mixture, and roast garlic (squeezed out of skin) in large bowl.
- Brush mushrooms clean and pull out the centre stalk.
- Place mushrooms top side down, on tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Spoon sweet potato stuffing into mushrooms evenly. Top with a little cashew cheese or goats cheese and a slice of the roast red onion.
- Bake in oven for approx. 15-20 mins.
- Remove and top mushrooms with toasted nut mix and a drizzle of olive oil.
Serve warm with a fresh rocket salad.