I’m a big fan of a delicious, crunchy cracker, however most commercial varieties have been made with unhealthy oils & fats, include high levels of gluten, have added sugars including high fructose corn syrup, or are made with non organic (& sometimes GMO) ingredients. I’ve used this recipe for a few years now and often change some of the spices or seeds depending on what I’m loving at any particular time. Once you have the ingredients on hand, (head to your bulk or wholefoods store), it is really simple to make.
Try these topped with golden macadamia butter, avocado & black pepper!
We use all organic ingredients
Makes aprox. 16 crackers
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ cup pepita seeds
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup unhulled millet
- ½ cup flaxseeds
- ¼ cup activated buckwheat
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 120 oC.
- Preheat a small frypan over medium heat & toast the garam masala, cumin, chilli & fennel seeds for 1 – 2 minutes until fragrant. Remove from the heat.
- Place the ground flaxseed in a medium bowl, and add water. Stir for several minutes until starts to thicken.
- Mix the spice mix with pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, millet, flaxseeds and salt & pepper.
- Add gel mix to seeds mix and combine thoroughly.
- Roll the mixture out between two pieces of parchment paper to make a 2mm thick rectangle(ish).
- Place on large baking tray, removing the top layer of parchment paper.
- Bake for 1 ¾ - 2 hours or until completely dried out & crisp.
- Remove from oven and break into individual crackers. Leave to cool completely
Serve topped with golden macadamia butter & avocado, or hummus, avocado & tomato, beetroot dip or any of your favourite toppings.