This is a vegan or vegetarian version of a traditional shepherds pie that is so nourishing on a cold winter’s day. It is easy to make ahead of time, and a great source of carotenes, B vitamins and dietary fibre. We’ve been making this in the pressure cooker recently to reduce the lectins in the lentils and to produce a thick, nourishing filling.
Vegan Option | Gluten Free
We use all organic ingredients
- 800g sweet potato, sliced thickly
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced or crushed
- 1 carrot, grated or finely diced
- 1 zucchini, grated or finely diced
- 150 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250g raw green or brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 500ml water
- 2 x 400g fresh or canned cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped activated walnuts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme & parsley), chopped
- 2 tbsp goats cheese or cashew cheese
- Cover lentils in water and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight, unless using a pressure cooker.
- Place sweet potato on baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil . Roast in oven at 180 oC for approximately 15-20 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- While sweet potato is cooking, saute onion, garlic, celery, carrot and zucchini in olive oil for 4-5 mins. Set aside
- Place lentils, bay leaf and water in saucepan and bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (skip this step if using a pressure cooker and add all ingredients to cooker)
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms and sautéed carrot/zucchini mix and simmer for further 12-15 minutes. (If using a pressure cooker, there is no need to simmer further. Simply cook this mixture under pressure for 20 minutes)
- Mix walnuts through cooked lentil mixture, season with salt & pepper and pour into casserole dish or open clay pot.
- In food processor blend roast sweet potato until smooth, then spread over lentil mix.
- Top with goat cheese or cashew cheese, and fresh herbs.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes until golden.
- Enjoy with a tossed green salad