Our run of giant zucchini’s growing in the garden has continued, and so we keep finding innovative ways to incorporate these nutritious vegetables into our everyday. Given that there are no shortage of volunteers in our family for a slice of moist chocolate cake, this is the latest in our repertoire – a delicious gluten free, dairy free option cake for any (or no) occasion.
Gluten Free, Dairy free option
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients
Serves 8-10 people
- 1 medium zucchini, grated (around 1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup grassfed butter, melted or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup cacao
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- ½ tsp good quality salt
- ½ cup activated walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup whipped grassfed cream (or coconut cream)
- 1/3 cup cacao
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or 1 tbsps raw honey
- Grated dark chocolate & walnuts to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a medium size round cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flours, bicarb, baking soda, salt and walnuts until well combined.
- Add zucchini and mix well.
- Whisk the eggs, coconut yoghurt, honey, butter or coconut oil & vanilla in a large bowl, until well combined.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry mix until blended thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and smooth top.
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool a little in the tin before placing on a rack to cool completely.
Gently combine all ingredients to make a creamy blend, and spread thickly over the cooled cake.
Top with extra walnuts and grated dark chocolate
Serve with your favourite brew at any time of day!