There is something very celebratory about chocolate cake, and we use this one a lot for birthdays, anniversaries, and ‘just because’! Despite having beetroot, avocado and almonds in it, no-one will ever know its good for them (particularly the kids!).
Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, vegan option
We use all organic ingredients.
- 250 g (2 medium) raw beetroot, peeled and grated finely (in food processor preferably)
- 250g (2 ½ cups) almond meal
- ½ cup (45g) cacao powder
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tbsp activated walnuts, chopped
- 2 eggs or for vegan option (1 tsp gluten free bicarb soda, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar & ½ cup coconut yoghurt)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1-3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- ½ tbsp honey, maple syrup or coconut nectar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a round 23cm cake pan or square slice pan (for brownies) with parchment paper.
- Mix together the beetroot, almond meal, cacao, walnuts & baking powder until well combined.
- Whisk eggs (or bicarb, vinegar & coconut yoghurt) together then add coconut oil, honey and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well.
- Place mixture in prepared tin and bake in pre-heated oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Set aside for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Blend all ingredients together in food processor until combined.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.