Nuts are a powerhouse of essential nutrients, providing minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc & potassium, as well as selenium, manganese and copper. They are a good source of vitamin E, mono & polyunsaturated fats, phytochemicals and also dietary fibre. Tossing mixed nuts in spices like cinnamon, ginger & turmeric give them some immune boosting and anti-inflammatory benefits, particularly If you use activated nuts which generally have less anti-nutrients like lectins & phytates.
Enjoy as a warm snack, with a good book or move.
Vegan Option, Gluten Free
- 2 cups mixed organic, activated nuts – e.g macadamias, pecans, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, pistachios,
- ¼ cup pepita seeds
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (to taste)
- Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1-3 tsp raw honey or maple syrup (to taste)
- Heat non stick pan and add nuts and spices/seasonings.
- Toast on moderate heat, stirring often until mix is golden and crunchy.
- Add honey/maple syrup and toast for further 1-2 minutes on lower heat.
- Tip onto parchment paper and spread out, allowing to cool.
Alternatively these can be made in the oven on a parchment lined tray.
- Mix nuts & spices and toast in oven at 200oC for 5-10 minutes until golden (mixing a few times).
- Add honey/maple syrup and toast for a further 2-3 minutes at 150 oC.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Delicious as a snack or tossed through salad or as a topping on stuffed vegetables.