Growing up, vegetables were something we ate because we had to! Today I happily make every meal with vegetables as the star of the show, and everything else as the extras.
We make this roast vegetable salad at any time of the year, and use seasonal vegetables, so the ingredients change making it different nearly every time. This particular recipe was made towards the end of Winter here in Australia – if it was summer it would probably have vegetables like asparagus & sweetcorn instead of fennel and brussel sprouts. Roasting vegetables in organic extra virgin olive oil not only brings out the richness of their flavour but provides healthy fats and enhances the absorption of antioxidants such as carotenes from many vegetables.
If you grow or can get fresh, organic herbs – go wild and toss these through the vegetables before they go into the oven!
We use all organic ingredients
Gluten free, paleo, grain free, vegan, dairy free
Serves 4 – 6
4 -6 cloves garlic, skin rubbed with olive oil
¼ pumpkin, sliced into wedges with skin on
2 medium purple carrots, cut into ¼’s lengthways
2 medium orange carrots, cut into ¼’s lengthways
2 medium parsnip, cut into ¼’s lengthways
1 large fennel bulb, sliced including some tops
1/2 large cauliflower broken into florets
1medium red onion, peeled and cut into wedges (~6)
1 large beetroot, scrubbed and cut into small wedges
2 cups brussel sprouts – large ones halved
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup fresh herbs, roughly chopped (parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil)
Baby spinach or mixed salad leaves to serve
2 large ripe avocado’s, scoop out flesh
Juice of ½ small, fresh lime
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 -2 tbsp water
Salt & pepper to taste
Chilli or sweet chilli sauce to taste (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
2. Toss chopped vegetables (except beetroot) in large bowl with 3 tbsp olive oil and herbs
3. Spread on 2 oven trays lined with parchment paper
4. Toss beetroot in bowl and add to tray (if you mix it with the other vegetables it will all turn pink!)
5. Roast vegetables on lower racks of oven, at 180oC for around 45 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little.
6. Blend all ingredients for avocado sauce in food processor until smooth and creamy
7 Spread spinach or salad leaves over large serving dish and top with roast vegetables
8. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then top with avocado dressing.
Serve with roast vegetables slightly warm or at room temperature.
Sprinkle with crumbled organic goats fetta &/or Dukkah if desired.