Who doesn’t love a slice of pizza, particularly when its home made with fresh ingredients and shared with good friends. Here’s our take on a gluten free version topped with warm roasted vegetables and a little goats cheese or cashew cheese (vegan). We've played with lots of different gluten free flours and the mix below works really well... not quite the same as a crusty sourdough from the wood fire oven, but pretty good nonetheless.
Use whatever vegetables are in season and top with fresh herbs and your favourite high quality cheese.
Gluten free, vegan option
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients, sourced locally where possible
- 4 cups organic gluten free flour (we use 2 cups cassava flour, 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour, 1/2 cup coconut flour)
- 1 tbsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 35 g dried yeast
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 3 1/2-4 cups lukewarm water (around 38°C)
- 3 tsp pink lake salt
- 2 cups homemade tomato pasta sauce (or use basil pesto if preferred)
- 1/2 pumpkin, thinly sliced into small triangles
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into 8's
- 1 head fennel, thinly sliced
- 3 zucchini, sliced thinly long ways
- 2 cups button mushrooms, cut into half
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- Baby spinach or rocket leaves
- 300g fetta or cashew cheese
- Fresh herbs – basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary etc. torn with hands
- Extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil & balsamic vinegar to serve
- Mix yeast & coconut sugar together in large bowl, add warm water and mix gently with fork. Leave covered in warm place for 10 minutes.
- Mix flours, xanthan gum, flaxseed, bicarb & salt in large bowl.
- Once yeast/water mix has bubbled, mix slowly into the flour mix with wooden spoon.
- Gently knead with hands, and add more warm water if required to get smooth dough.
- Cover bowl with damp tea towel and leave in warm place for dough to rise – approx. 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a large tray (or 2) with parchment paper.
- Lay sliced vegetables on tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Bake in oven for approx. 30 -45 mins or until vegetables soft.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Toss mushrooms, garlic and spring onions in a heavy based pan with olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 220°C or use pizza oven.
- Line tray with parchment paper or use pizza stone.
- Break off a handful of dough, and roll into ball with floured hands.
- On floured board (or on parchment paper if dough is a bit sticky) roll out with rolling pin, until around 1 cm thick (around dinner plate size).
- Continue with remaining dough, and place bases on tray.
- Over each, spoon on a little tomato sauce or pesto, then top with assorted roast vegetables.
- Crumble fetta or cashew cheese over top, and sprinkle with herbs.
- Bake in oven approximately 10-15 minutes until base golden.
- Serve warm topped with fresh rocket or baby spinach and a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.