Everywhere I look at the moment there are beautiful mushrooms of all different shapes, sizes and species. The farmers markets have the freshest shitake, brown, king oysters and lions mane mushrooms proudly on display, and I have to admit I struggle to walk past without at least 1 box of mixed mushrooms each week. I use them a lot with omelettes, in stuffed sweet potatoes and in vegan san choy bao, but decided to try a more Asian flavour this week, with a simple but very nutrient dense, stir fry.
For a vegan stir fry substitute the omelette with tempeh lightly cooked in tamari.
Gluten Free, Vegan option
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely diced
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp organic sesame or extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 6 asparagus spears, finely sliced
- ½ bunch pak choy, sliced
- 1 head broccolini, chopped
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (eg. button, field, shitake, king oyster, oyster, brown)
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp mirin
- ½ -3/4 cup fresh coriander & basil, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp filtered water
- 2 tbsp tamari
- Heat large, heavy based fry pan and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Whisk eggs, water & tamari together in small bowl, and pour into hot pan.
- After a minute or two when omelette begins to bubble, flip over. When cooked, tip onto chopping board and cut into thin slices. Set aside.
- Alternatively cut tempeh into thin slices, toss in a little tamari, and heat in pan until it starts to brown. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the heavy based fry pan then gently fry garlic, shallots & ginger until aromatic.
- Add remaining vegetables including mushrooms and cook over medium to high heat for around 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tamari & mirin and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add sliced omelette (or tempeh) and fresh herbs and gently fold through.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or noodles if desired, or in fresh lettuce cups.