Beetroot is a staple in our fridge being equally delicious both raw and roasted, and in sweet & savoury dishes. It is a highly nutritious food providing folate, vitamin c, magnesium, manganese, potassium and dietary fibre. Beets are also rich in many health promoting compounds including polyphenols, carotenoids and flavonoids as well as the amino acid betaine that may help inhibit inflammation & reduce cancer risk. They are rich in nitrates which convert to nitric oxide in our bodies helping control blood pressure and possibly improving athletic performance. So many good reasons to find more recipes using beetroot!
This dip is simple to make and a good way to use older beetroot that were hiding in the veggie drawer in the fridge.
Dip served with Spicy Seed Crackers, in the Cloud Hidden Tea Bowl on the Grit Dinner Plate.
Gluten Free, Vegan
We use all organic ingredients
Makes ~1 ½ cups
- 2 large beetroot, scrubbed & cut into quarters
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1/3 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Activated pistachio’s – roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 oC
- Place beetroot quarters on parchment lined baking tray and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Roast in oven for approx. 25-30 mins or until soft
- Allow to cool, then add to food processor along with remaining ingredients (except for pistachios)
- Process until you have a slightly textured mix without chunks of beetroot.
- Top with chopped pistachios
Serve with sticks of raw vegetables and Spicy Seed Crackers.