They don’t always look gorgeous, but green (or red/purple/brown) smoothies can be a delicious and easy way to get in immune boosting vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, with a hefty dose of dietary fibre, and electrolytes. I prefer them to juices as they contain all of the fibre of the plant food rather than just the liquid portion.
This recipe is a favourite developed over time, but feel free to experiment and find your own best blend. A robust blender or food processor is recommended and adding ice helps get a finer blended drink.
Vegan, Gluten Free
We use all organic ingredients.
- 3-4 kale leaves (stalks removed) or 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 small celery stalk
- Fresh italian parsley
- Handful of mint leaves
- Fresh turmeric and ginger (fingernail sized nob of each)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple pieces or 1 ripe apple or pear
- 400ml coconut water
- Ice (optional but makes a finer blend)
Optional additions: Spirulina powder, maca powder, medicinal mushrooms
- Put all ingredients into powerful blender/food processor and puree on high for up to 60 seconds, or until desired consistency reached.
- Drink as soon as possible after making.
Experiment with a variety of fresh vegetables (e.g. add raw beetroot, carrot, broccoli) and seasonal fruit (eg. pineapple, mango, oranges, berries) as well as fresh herbs like basil, gotu kola, herb robert, aloe vera etc.) to enhance your nutrient intake.