This one is for the chocoholics amongst us - who still want a nutrient dense treat. Cacao is rich in plant polyphenols and flavonols which are strong antioxidants. In particular, compounds known as catechins have been shown to have a possible role in helping protect against heart disease and cancer. Cacao can also have anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective and cardioprotective effects, and improves the bioavailability of nitric oxide, which improves blood pressure, platelet function and fluidity of blood. In addition, it contains a number of psychoactive substances including serotonin and phenylethylamine which control mood, and offer the “antidepressant” effect of chocolate.
And if that’s not enough, cocoa contains caffeine, theophylline and theobromine which are all stimulants with a number of possible performance enhancing effects
So pull out the raw cacao and enjoy these delicious chewy gluten free cookies.
Gluten free, vegan
We use all organic and biodynamic ingredients.
Makes 12-15 biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) cassava flour
- 1 cup (100g) tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) raw cacao powder
- 100g raw, dark organic chocolate, roughly chopped (or cacao nibs for a super cacao hit!)
- 1/2 cup (60g) dried mulberries
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 tsp pink lake salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw maple syrup
- 1/2 cup organic macadamia nut oil or cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- Pre heat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix flours, cacao, chocolate, mulberries, bicarb soda & salt together in large mixing bowl.
- Whisk vanilla, maple syrup, oil & water together in a small bowl.
- Add this liquid mix to the dry ingredients and blend with a wooden spoon.
- Dampen hands and roll mixture into walnut sized balls, place on tray and press lightly to flatten.
- Bake biscuits in oven for approx. 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray.
- Place biscuit on plate and top with a large spoon of Creamy Chocolate Mousse then place another biscuit on top. Sprinkle additional chopped raw chocolate, raspberries or strawberries and a sprinkle of pink lake salt. Eat straight away.