I first tasted carob when driving through Portugal to visit my grandparents when I was about 10 years old. The large carob pods hung from branches and if you chewed them hard enough, tasted sweet and a little bit chocolately! Carob is a great alternative to cacao if you are looking for a caffeine free option that is naturally sweet. I generally don’t add any other sweeteners when I use carob.
These crunchy clusters are really simple to make and a nutritious, high fibre snack for almost anyone! Warning .. they are a little addictive!
Gluten Free, Vegan, Dairy free
We use all organic ingredients
Makes ~25 clusters
- 150 g cacao butter
- 4 tbsp carob powder
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dried mulberries
- 1/3 cup activated buckwheat
- 1/3 cup activated pistachios
- Pinch of sea salt
- Melt cacao butter & coconut butter in bowl over a saucepan on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add carob powder & vanilla and blend in well until mixture is smooth.
- Allow carob mix to cool a little and thicken, then add remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Drop walnut sized portions onto parchment lined tray.
- Place tray in freezer for at least 2 hours before devouring.
Serve with a mug of your favourite herbal tea!