It is not unusual to find me in the kitchen at 11 am making brunch for hubby, who likes to practice restricted time period eating (eating within an 8 – 10 hr window during the day which has been shown to help improve metabolism, lower blood sugar; lessen inflammation and help clear out toxins and damaged cells, which lowers risk for cancer and enhances brain function). Whilst I’m happy with a bowl of seeds, coconut yoghurt, fruit & granola, he loves a spread of sautéed mushrooms, spinach, eggs, goats cheese, gluten free bread, avocado, sauerkraut, etc. He has been particularly busy lately so I wondered if I could use these ingredients to make a more convenient brunch dish that he could grab whenever he decided to eat. These savoury breakfast muffins are the result... and they appear to be pretty popular. I added some of our Immunity Elixir for a boost of medicinal mushrooms & adaptogens, and the result was a nutrient dense and tasty snack that is delicious warm from the oven or cool the next day. They also make a handy lunchbox inclusion for kids… or anyone really!
We use all organic and biodynamic ingredients
Makes around 10 muffins
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup cassava flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp Immunity Elixir powder (optional)
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tbsp olive oil or grassfed butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup button or field mushrooms chopped into small pieces
- ¾ cup silverbeet or baby spinach, chopped finely
- 2 spring onions, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp vegetable stock paste
- 3 free range, pasture raised eggs
- 100g goats cheese, crumbled
- Line muffin pan with parchment paper inserts.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix almond meal, flours, Elixir powder, hemp seeds & bicarb soda together in large mixing bowl .
- In a heavy based pan, heat olive oil/butter then add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, silver beet and spring onions and saute for around 7-10 minutes until vegetables are soft. Stir in vegetable stock paste.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs together until fluffy, then add crumbled goats cheese.
- Add mushroom mix and egg mix to dry ingredients and gently blend together.
- Spoon into muffin paper inserts, and tap tray to smooth out ingredients a little.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Mash 1-2 ripe avocados with a little chilli sauce, some finely chopped coriander & a splash of lime juice, and top your muffin with this guacamole mix just before eating.