It is always tricky to find good commercially made crackers with most either including unhealthy oils & fats, high levels of gluten, added sugars including high fructose corn syrup, or are made with non organic (& sometimes GMO) ingredients. This is a new recipe I've been loving - it's quick and easy, and the crackers include healthy fats, are nutrient dense, and are delicious and easy to make.
We use all organic ingredients
Makes aprox. 12-15 crackers
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup golden flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp pink lake salt + extra to top
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin cold pressed olive oil & extra to top
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and water and mix thoroughly.
- Allow to sit for 10-15 mins, then divide into 2 portions and form a ball with each.
- Place one ball at a time between two pieces of parchment paper and roll with rolling pin until around 2mm thick.
- Place on large baking trays, removing the top layer of parchment paper.
- Brush lightly with a little olive oil and sprinkle with additional salt.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until slightly brown & crisp.
- Remove from the oven and break into individual crackers. Leave to cool completely.
- Serve topped with avocado, golden macadamia butter, thinly sliced pear, rocket & basil, or hummus, avocado & tomato, beetroot dip .... or any of your favourite toppings.